We are 10 days in to this food challenge and today’s theme is favorite starter. Now I am a huge fan of appetizers and starters. If I could always eat a meal of shared plates or appetizers I would. One of my favorite starters in anything with Brussels sprouts. I like this because it’s easy to make at home but I also can find delicious renditions of it at some of my favorite restaurants. One of my favorite versions is fried Brussels Sprouts with bacon. At home I have found a simple way to make them that has become very popular with my family.
1 lb Brussels Sprouts
3-4 tbsp oil
1.5 tbsp brown sugar
Big pinch of salt
- Remove outer layer of leaves from Brussels sprouts and discard. Remove one or two more layers of leaves and then slice Brussels into thin strips.
- Heat a pan on medium heat, add oil. Once hot add Brussels and stir so the oil coats them evenly, allow to cook stiring occasionally.
- After cooking for about 3 minutes add brown sugar and stir.
- Cook for about 2-5 minutes longer or until lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towel sprinkle with salt while hot.